Tuesday, June 14, 2005

B - Broiling

Broiling: Open your oven. Stick your head in as far as you can. Now look up. Congratulations, you've found the broiler. If you're anything like me, the broiler button on your stove is the cleanest button and without wear. After all, typical back-of-the-box instructions start with "preheat oven." The birth of cooking stones, in my humble opinion, is another reason the broiler has gone un-used. The stone can produce even cooking with an occasional nice crust - cook a frozen pizza on a stone and you'll see what I mean. Broiler? I don't need to stinkin' broiler.

The truth is I do need a broiler and so do you.

A broiler is a heat source located in the roof of the oven. It has two heat settings, "high" and "low." My oven is user-friendly so when I turn on the broiler, it says "hi." Who say truncation is a bad thing? Broiling requires the oven rack to be at either the highest or second highest setting. Think of broiling as grilling with the coals levatating over the food instead of under. Broiling is high heat from a close source.

Time for hunting. In fact, this should be easy. Find where you keep your cooking pans (cookie sheets, etc) and take out everything you see. On the bottom of the stack is the broiling pan. Looks like a vented piece of metal. The broiling "pan" is two pans. One is the vented pan, the other is a grease/gunk catcher. Always use the two together. I know, this is very basic to some of you, but for me...not so much. You have found your primary cooking pan for this method.

Broiling is a great method for cooking fish. I'm not saying you have to go out and buy the freshest fish possible. Fresh is better but not necessary. We all have a budget. We tend to buy frozen tilipia for a quick easy meal. My wife has always cooked it on a stone in the oven - usually 8 minutes. I tried broiling. Same results in 5 minutes. Maybe not the same, I prefer the broiled version as it seems
flakier. My kids say they taste the same. Plate the two side by side and they're both great.

Broiling is also great for eggs. Say it with me...broiling is also great for eggs. This time, ignore the broiling pan and grab a small saute pan - and wrap the handle in aluminium foil. I don't want to go into the exact instructions/recipe but this is the basic idea. Broiler on high, over rack on 2nd to top. Toss a little olive oil in the pan. In a mixing bowl, add two eggs, salt and pepper to taste, and leftovers (tomato, green pepper, sliced lunchmeat, etc). Pour these contents into the saute pan and broil for 1-2 minutes. Slide results onto a plate. Continue this process while adding a layer of salsa in between. You'll have the fluffiest egg dish you've ever had. That's the basic's. Check out "I'm Just Here For the Food" for the exact recipe and instructions.

I'm learning the broiler is my friend. I'm sticking with recipes before I venture into the realm of "what happens if I broil this?"

If you've got any good recipes, post them. I was going to say "if you have any good broiling stories" but that caused me to question my sanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home