Wednesday, August 03, 2005

NOTE: Cost of Cooking

I thought our kitchen was well stocked until I started "cooking like Alton Brown." I also thought we were good in the spice department. No on both accounts.

We don't have any cast iron cookware. We don't have any metal mixing bowls - I'm a bit skeptical they are necessary since we've got the pyrex. No KitchenAid mixer, no electric hand mixer, no thermonuclear temperature scanner, no digital oven thermometer, and no stainless steel pans. If there are two spices called for in a recipe, we'll have only one in the cupboard.

Truth of the matter, my wife is 3rd generation Italian and cooks with an Italian flair. Most of her dishes are usually low in fat and generally healthy (red sause vs. white - that sort of thing). Additionally, she's not the frying type. Therefore, our meals are simplier. I have only complained about her cooking once in seven years so simple does not mean bad. She's a great cook. Here -I- come wanting to sear a piece of fish and cook omlets every day. My heart reminds me the latter should be reserved for an occasional weekend. In fact, my recent egg craze now has me completely uninterested in anything with eggs.

Ok, I'm rambling but I must ramble.

I'm experiencing high-priced cooking because I'm cooking in new ways with new items. I was eager for daily cooking experiences that would have me frying, searing, poaching, and juggling new foods. Real life kicked in and said "Chris, cook one new dish each week. The other days, just cook your standard meals - there is education in that as well."

In the meantime, if you see a guy walking with a placard that says "will work for kitchenaid mixer" wish him the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home