Wednesday, June 29, 2005

E -Eggs

Eggs
Egg punnery has been around since the chicken. No yolk. And as long as I have been around, I’ve loved the little guys. These complex elliptical orbs of protein and nutritional goodness cook up as many ways as a human can devise.

Eggs are chicken potential. No, you’ll never find a beak inside a shell, but the cellular stuff is all there for sprouting a chicken. Eggs are made up of five basic parts; a shell, a small pocket of air, the albumen, the yolk, and the chalazae. Despite what you might think, the last is not a small Frenchman, it’s a thin cordal structure that holds the yolk in the center of the egg. Nature’s safety packaging. The albumen exists in two forms, the outer thin albumen and the inner thick albumen. Crack an egg and watch the liquid pour out – that’s the thin stuff. Hold a cracked egg open long enough and a thick gelatinous goo will appear – that’s the thick. I think we all know about the yolk. So what about the air? Beats me. I figure an egg is like a snow globe. No matter how beautiful the contents, it’s near impossible to fill with water without letting in a bit of air. Air is just a natural thing and it works for me.

Why my fascination with the white one? I’m not sure where to begin! They are filling, easy to use, taste great with almost anything, and after eating huevos rancheros in Costa Rica, I’m convinced they are perfect with just about anything.

I could write pages and pages on egg grades, sizes, and types. But I won’t. I’ll keep it simple. Grade AA is fresh from the chicken. Grade A has been around a few weeks. Small, large, super-sized, it has nothing to do with quality. Finally, the older the egg, the better for cooking hard-boiled eggs but not much else. It’s about chemistry and while time might heal all wounds, time also breaks down all membranes. Broken membranes are not good for keeping a yolk together but are good for peeling.

For my final point about general egg information, check your eggs before you cash. Make sure they are cold and check them for cracks and breaks.

Eggs are great for leftovers. I’ve mentioned one such method in my post on broiling. Here’s another one. Tonight I was privileged to be in my house all alone, just me and my kitchen. Like a putting on a comfortable sweater, I turned on the broiler. Then, I opened up two English muffins and let the creativity flow. First, I placed roughly two teaspoons of scotch bonnet hot sauce in the middle of each muffin. Next, I cracked each egg and carefully placed it on top of the muffin. Finally, added slices of thin ham and cheese; prosciutto and american. Three to four minutes under the broiler and then topped with roughly a tablespoon of mild salsa on each. Ok, I did burn a little of the American cheese but until I get a new oven light, I’m cooking in the dark.

Poach ‘em, fry ‘em, wine and dine ‘em. Eggs are great. I challenge you to stop making scrambled eggs because it’s easy. Cook them sunny-side up. Poach them for a salad. Or paint them and stick them in the yard. Be creative.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have a nice blog. I just wanted to reccommend Campbells Ceramic Supply for all your potter supply needs. Thanks.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any post you make on cooking deer steak in the future will be well received.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Readers...!!!

Check this out for FREE...

This opportunity says:

"Your Ad" Will Be Instantly Displayed on Thousands of Websites and Read By Over 10 Million People Per Week For FREE, and It Only Takes 60 Seconds To Get Started!

To find out more visit: Home business site. It successfully exposes FREE information covering Traffic and Home business related stuff.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home